“Power? You know nothing of it. Step forward, that I might show you what real power looks like.”
Anyone can make a Pact with a Demon to use their tremendous power as your own. It just depends on how much you value your soul, and how confident you are in your ability to spot a trap. Pact magic focuses on things unnatural to Vulcanica: Curses, fear, and destruction. The ability to teleport using Pact Magic was once an integral part of Turathi battle movements and commerce, but the ability seems to have died with Hell Fire.
Characters who choose to start training into the Magic/Pact/ Skill begin with access to the following Tier 3 words:
- Destruction – No special rules. This word is applicable whenever the character attempts to destroy or damage a character, creature, or object.
- Fear – No special rules. This word is applicable whenever the character attempts to incite fear, panic, or doubt in a character or creature.
- Pain – No special rules. This word is applicable whenever the character attempts to cause pain or suffering in a character or creature.
Characters who reach Rank 8 in Magic/Pact also gain access to the following Tier 3 word:
- Curse – The character may, at the price of one Vengeance Token, curse another character, group of characters, or item, with a successful Magic/Pact or Magic/Pact/Curse (Moderate) Test. For the next 24 hours, that character or group of characters must subtract l success from their Final Result whenever making any Test (or, in the case of an item, whenever it is used to make a Test).
Characters who reach Rank 12 in Magic/Pact also gain access to the following Tier 3 word:
- Transformation – The character may, at any time, assume the form of a Demon with a successful MAGICAL CONTROL Test (Difficult), using Magic/Pact/ or Magic/Pact/Transformation. Doing so makes the character’s Pact much more powerful, but at the cost of completely losing the ability to use any other type of Magic. While in Demon form, the number of additional dice the Warlock may add to their pool (per the Special Rule, described below) increases to ten. Additionally, while in Demon form, any Tests the Warlock makes using their MAGICAL Attribute are done with Advantage, if they do not already have Disadvantage. However, being in such intimate contact with Pact makes the Warlock far more susceptible to its temptations, and their PRESENCE score is lowered by 2 for as long as they remain in Demon form.
Special Rule: At the time of making any MAGICAL Test, a character with 1 or more Ranks in Magic/Pact may add a number of dice (up to a maximum of five) to their pool before rolling. However, Pact is not native to Vulcanica, and mortals are ill-suited to its use; whenever a Warlock achieves more successes on their Magical roll (when using Pact) than their total PHYSICAL ENDURANCE score, they suffer a temporary -1 penalty to their PRESENCE Attribute as the magic disorients them and deadens their senses. This penalty lasts for 4 hours, and can be cumulative. If, as a result of using Pact, the character’s PRESENCE ever temporarily reaches 0 or lower before it recovers, it will suffer a permanent -1 penalty after fully recovering. This penalty can also be cumulative, though it would take separate instances of the score reaching 0 or lower for this to happen more than once.