Once you have a general concept of what kind of character you’d like to play, the next step is to choose your character’s race. Each race is described in detail on the Races of Vulcanica page as well as the individual links below, but only in a roleplaying capacity. Here is where you can find information on how each race performs mechanically.
In addition to their special abilities (described below), each race has what is called a “racial combo” or “preferred test,” which is composed of one Type I Attribute and one Type II Attribute—just like any normal test. Whenever making a test with your race’s “preferred test,” you may automatically add one success to your final result. Each race’s preferred test is included in parenthesis next to the race’s name. To remember this, we suggest highlighting your preferred attributes on your character sheet.
Beastman (PHYSICAL PRESENCE) House Rules
- Special Ability: Unchained
- BEASTMEN may, at character creation, choose to (instead of using the normal Type I array) start with their Type I attributes as follows: Magical 3, Mental 1, Physical 5, Social 2. BEASTMEN who forego this option may instead begin play with a +2 bonus to their LEGEND, distributed among the four parts as they like.
Cambion (MAGICAL POWER)
- Special Ability: Immortal Blood
- CAMBIONS may, at character creation, choose which side of their heritage is more dominant in their bloodline: Demon or Mortal. CAMBIONS who choose the Demon option can never get a critical failure on any test as a result of rolling all 1s. CAMBIONS who choose the Mortal option may treat up to one rolled 5 as a 6 for purposes of determining a critical success.
Dragonkin (PHYSICAL POWER)
- Special Ability: Arkhosian Might
- DRAGONKIN always get at least 4 successes on any PHYSICAL POWER test. DRAGONKIN can never get a critical failure on any test that uses the POWER Attribute. DRAGONKIN begin play with 2 ranks in the Magic/Dragon/Empowerment Training.
Dwarf (PHYSICAL ENDURANCE)
- Special Ability: Born of Iron
- DWARVES may reduce the severity of an incoming wound by one level, if they wish. This effect can stack with the effect of wearing armor. In BATTLE, this skill translates to +2 to their contribution to their team’s SKILL total, regardless of tactic used.
Elf (MENTAL PRESENCE)
- Special Ability: Centuries of Training
- ELVES may, after any test in which at least half their DICE POOL resulted in successes, add one additional success to their final result.
Fey (MAGIC CONTROL) House Rules
- Special Ability: Vulca-Naar
- FEY may always choose to dodge an attack (PHYSICAL CONTROL), even if the circumstances or nature of the attack wouldn’t normally allow for a dodge. FEY can never get a critical failure on any test that uses the CONTROL Attribute.
Human (SOCIAL CONTROL)
- Special Ability: Memento Mori
- HUMANS may, any time they get to apply part or all of their LEGEND as a bonus on any test, increase that bonus by +1, if they wish. HUMANS have a maximum of 5 for their HONOR, FAITH, VIRTUE, and VICE, instead of 4. In addition, HUMANS begin play with two ranks in the Nature/Animal/Handling training.
Orc (PHYSICAL POWER)
- Special Ability: Battle Frenzy
- ORCS may choose to subtract any number from their PRESENCE Attribute and add it to the same number of successes to any PHYSICAL POWER tests made while in combat. If the PRESENCE score drops to 0 as a result of this drain, combat cannot be voluntarily ended by the ORC until all enemies are dead. Otherwise, this effect lasts for a few minutes, then reverses. In BATTLE, this skill translates to +2 to their contribution to their team’s SKILL total.